[Lexicog] Interesting inquiry

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jul 8 06:53:41 UTC 2008

I received the following inquiry from Keith Percy, who gave me permission
to pass it on to the LexList. It is intriguing as a demonstration of a
literal attempt to substitute dictionary definitions for lexical items in
an effort to gain a clearer understanding. I have responded to him already
pointing out some problems with his application of the method, but I thought
that list members would be interested in observing the process in action. He
has asked for further help from a real lexicographer (which I cannot claim
to be), so if anyone is willing to help, his e-mail address is at the
bottom of the message.

   Rudy Troike

Hello-
       Would you, or do you know any one who could help me out with this? Please
let me know. Maybe you know someone else who could help me? Thank you. This
means A LOT to me.

The question:
Is this following process an acceptable way to get an accurate understanding of
the ORIGINAL statement in this textbook I am using?

-origional statement:         "...he begins to lose all control of his liquor
consumption..."

-initial word being sought
to understand better:            "...control..."

When seeking to understand this word in a sentence, is it perfectly acceptable
to do this;