[Lexicog] Re: Indeclinable pronoun

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jul 17 05:13:31 UTC 2008

Phil,

   As David suggested, the term would only apply in a situation where other
pronouns were "declined", i.e. marked for case. Reflexive does not normally
count in declining pronouns. An example of an inclinable pronoun in English
would be "which", since it is not inflected for case (it is suppletively
replaced by "whose" in the non-periphrastic Genitive):

Nominative:  I    you   he/she/it    we   you(-all)    they  who     which

Acc/Dative:  me   you   him/her/it   us   you(-all)    them  who(m)  which

Genitive:    my   your  his/her/its  our  your(-all's) their whose  (of) which

     Rudy

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com