[Lexicog] IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 23 16:17:49 UTC 2008

Richard Goodgrief wrote:

“Does anyone have all of the Koine Biblical Greek words converted to the
IPA Alphabet? I would like to have this for my lexicon.”

I’ve done something similar to this in FieldWorks. I have a CC table that converts from the GalatiaSIL font to Romanized Unicode using the DoulosSIL font:

Ἀαρών               Aarṓn

ἀβαρής              abarḗs

The CC table is specifically designed to work in FieldWorks. It may not be exactly what you want, but you could adapt it if you wanted a more narrow IPA transcription. If you aren’t using FieldWorks, you (or I) could adapt the CC table for some other application such as Toolbox. Alternatively I could export my database and extract just the Citation Form field (Greek GalatiaSIL font) and the Pronunciation field (IPA DoulosSIL font). Would any of this be of help?

Others on this list may be interested in knowing how to quickly generate an IPA transcription of their vernacular headwords. The technology is available and it is fairly simple to set up the conversion, especially in FieldWorks. In other applications such as Toolbox it requires running a CC table (or other conversion tool) on your data. The basic procedure is as follows:

1.	Produce a conversion table (e.g. a CC table) that maps the characters (and character combinations such as digraphs and diacritics) of the vernacular font to the equivalent character(s) in IPA. FieldWorks has quite a few standard conversion tables packaged with the program. For instance it has a Greek to Roman conversion table.
2.	Run the conversion table on your data to produce a Pronunciation field for each entry.
3.	Check the data for accuracy. If needed (and possible) adjust the conversion table and rerun it on the data.
4.	If there are odd words that cannot be accurately converted by the conversion table, correct them using the Find/Replace tool or manually editing the data. You may also need to deal with allophones and phonemes that are under-differentiated in the orthography.

The FieldWorks Bulk Edit tools were specifically designed to facilitate this type of process. Consequently you can accomplish the task much quicker than in Toolbox, and much, much quicker than typing the IPA transcription by hand.

Ron Moe

SIL International

  _____

Does anyone have all of the Koine Biblical Greek words converted to the
IPA Alphabet? I would like to have this for my lexicon.

thanks!

Checked by AVG.