[Lexicog] IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Tue Jun 24 18:25:54 UTC 2008

Richard Anderson wrote:

"What I was looking for is the Koine IPA [e?lini'k?i '?lo?sa] (Erasmian);
see the link:"

I'm not sure what you mean by the statement above. Do you mean you found
what you were looking for? Or do you mean you are still looking for a
database that has the Koine words transcribed according to the table of
correspondences on the web page in your first link (below)? If all you want
is a transliteration of the orthographic citation form, you could use the
table of correspondences in the link below to construct a CC table (or other
converter). However if you want a better guide to pronunciation, for
instance with an indication of vowel length for i, u, and a, then you will
have to look for a database that has that information. You might want to
find out who wrote the Wiktionary articles and ask him/them. From the
Wiktionary articles it is obvious that there is a group of scholars who are
doing a great deal of research. I would be very surprised if one of them did
not have a dictionary database with this information.

Having grown up in Japan, I can well understand your desire to accurately
indicate the pronunciation in a form that gives more options than katakana.
I'm sure a person from ancient Greece would roar with laughter at my
Anglicized attempts to pronounce Koine Greek words. It would help us all to
at least have a "best guess" at the pronunciation of each word. If there is
such a database, I too would like a copy.

Ron Moe

  _____

What I was looking for is the Koine IPA [e?lini'k?i '?lo?sa] (Erasmian); see
the link:

http://en.wiktionar
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Ancient_Greek_Romanization_and_Pro
nunciation>
y.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Ancient_Greek_Romanization_and_Pronunciation

http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA>
.org/wiki/Help:IPA

I currently live in Japan and I would like my work to be read
internationally. Here in Japan they teach the IPA for language studies. It
is much better than the English transliteration or stongs pronunciation
guidelines. In Japan, English is understood via Katakana (a Japanese
transliterated alphabet of English). With this in mind, without the IPA
Koine the reader falls to an English-Katakana mixture of sounds.

Anyway,

Thank you,

Richard

Checked by AVG.