[Lexicog] Re: idiomatic phrases; was Fuzzy Phrasal Typology

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 27 12:44:57 UTC 2008

Scott, good points.
By nature, phrases have nuances, words in isolation (life "fire" --
fuego in Spanish or "five" -- "funf" in German) can be translated
verbatum. Phrases seem like a different animal (like "between a rock
and a hard place" -- in a dilemma -- are sometimes fully
translatable. In Korean "between a rock and a hard place" is spoken
as "chin tae yang nan." That is the easy part. It's when there is no
equivalent phrase that it gets tricky.
"Live and let live." was popularized in WWI, referring to the
stalemate on the western front. "There's no accounting for taste." is
from Latin, of unknown exact origin.

Keep writing....
Scott Nelson

My research shows that "Live and let live" was popularized in WWI,
related to the stalemate on the western front.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com