[Lexicog] Reduplication

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 30 14:12:43 UTC 2008

Folks: I just wanted to give you a taste of what I do for fun. It
probably is not new to you, but you have liberty to use the forms
below as examples in your own work, if you are a grammarian, teacher
of rhetoric, or lexicographer using phrases in your work.
     Reduplication (the doubling or repetition of a word, word
element, or sound) is a common lexical form with a number of
functions, basically rhetorical or emphatic. It expresses itself in
all the grammatical parts of speech and through a number of
rhetorical devices, most commonly 1) rhyming compounds  2)
alliteration  3) assonance  4) echoisms. Poetry, for instance, is
replete with reduplication.
     The nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty uses two forms of reduplication
within its four short lines: Assonance (repeating similar sounds –
Humpty Dumpty) and rhyme (words that usually end with the same or
similar sounds – wall/fall, men/again). Alliteration (a repeating
first sound) can be found through tongue twisters, which can also
combine two or more reduplicative types (e.g. How much wood would a
woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.) Alliteration and
assonance run throughout its question. Another multiple reduplicative
would be "I would if I could but I can't." (rhyme and alliteration)
The following parts of speech, including phrases and clauses -- use
reduplication. The example of humor is listed to demonstrate one of
many rhetorical devices that use it (an exhaustive list would be
exhausting).
In addition, due to the nature of reduplication (e.g. because there
are multiple words within a clausal reduplicative that combine to
form it), a single example could belong in two, or even three, of the
parts of speech.

Nouns:
a hot-shot
	the man with the plan
	a lot of huffing and puffing (gerunds)
	Monkey see, monkey do.
	I have some good news, and I have some bad news.
	Success breeds success.
	double trouble

Pronouns:
You don't get something for nothing.
And that was that.
a little of this and a little of that
Everyone who's anyone will be there.
Everyone's business is no one's business.
I am who I am.

Adjectives:
a fifty-fifty chance}
	Fair is fair.
	handy-dandy
	hush-hush
	If worst comes to worst.
	Nothing ventured, nothing gained. past participles/ellipis
in the wrong place at the wrong time
Same ol', same ol'.
When you're hot, you're hot. When you're not, you're
not.

Verbs:
	(Don't) dilly-dally.
      et cetera, et cetera
	A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
	If you can't beat'em, join'em.
Before you invest, investigate.
It takes money to make money.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep and you weep alone.
Whatever will be, will be.

Adverbs:
	over and over again
	It ain't over till it's over.
	It's neither here nor there.
	Never say never!
	Never up, never in. (golf jargon)
	So far, so good.
rattle on and on and on about (something)

Prepositions:
	Like father, like son.
	What's good for General Motors is good for America.
	In for a penny, in for a pound.
	Land of the free and home of the brave.

Interjections:
	Surprise, surprise!
	Well, boo-hoo!
	Fiddle-faddle!
	Hell's bells!
	Here, here!
	Hubba-hubba!
	Well, well! If it isn't....(someone).
	Well, la-di-da!
Promises, promises!
Ta-ta!
Tsk-tsk!
Yoo
hoo!

Conjunctions:
	again and again and again
	But
but

Possessives:
Everyone's business is nobody's business.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
What's yours is mine, and what's mine is my mine.

Multiple:
	How now, brown cow? (adverbs, adjective, noun.
	hurry-scurry; (can be used as an adjective, noun, and adverb)
	hee-haw (can be used as a verb, adjective, and noun)
	shilly-shally (can be used as an adjective, noun, or verb)

Clauses:
Little things please little minds.
	They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
	Birds of a feather flock together.
	You're cruisin' for a bruisin'.
	Everyone's responsibility is no one's responsibility.
	First come, first served.
	Whatever happens, happens.

Phrases:
no rhyme or reason for....(something)
	fill the bill

articles:
	The more the merrier.

Humor:
	Q: What goes tick-tick, woof-woof?
      A: A watch dog.

	Obesity is a condition which proves that the Lord does not
help
those who help themselves and help themselves and help themselves.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com