[Lexicog] Re: Lexical Relations vs. Etymology

Kenneth Keyes ken_keyes at SIL.ORG
Sun Mar 2 16:28:18 UTC 2008

David,

Thanks for responding. What I was trying to demonstrate here was that this kk phrase is a compound noun is calque derived from the Russian
"zapis aktov grazhdanskovo sostajanijie" = record of documentation of the situation of citizens, i.e. vital statistics office.

I believe while this is a phrase, "vital statistics office" functions as a noun. The phrase "vital statistics" also functions as a noun.  What I am trying to establish is, what relationship do calques have to their original "loanwords"? For example, a common kk calque for typesetting is maetin tery "to pick texts" which is a calque from the Russian nabor tekstov, lit. "collection of texts". This sounds strange in kk to me, it sounds like you're picking fruit off a tree. There are many, many such calques in kk, as the language struggles to transform itself from vocabulary suitable for nomadic herdsmen to one which can accomodate a modern technological society.

Ken

   _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Frank
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:18 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Lexicog] Re: Lexical Relations vs. Etymology

I can't read Cyrillic script and I'm not too familiar with Shoebox or Toolbox or FieldWorks, but I think I see two problems here. It looks to me like you are citing an example of a phrase, and I would not try to give an etymology for a phrase. Words have etymologies; phrases don't. Or in the case of a calque, I suppose you could consider the source from another language as being a kind of etymology, but we wouldn't usually describe phrases as having etymologies.

Also, I wouldn't assign a part of speech to a phrase either. It looks like you are calling this phrase a noun, and I don't think that is appropriate. A phrase may contain a noun but wouldn't be called a noun or any other part of speech. Instead of a word class label, some people might want to assign a label that would be appropriate to phrases such as "phr" or "np", but I prefer to just leave the part of speech blank for anything I would put into a dictionary that is comprised of more than one word.

-- David Frank