[Lexicog] Re: Lexical Relations vs. Etymology

Margaret Marks margaret.marks at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 2 23:57:24 UTC 2008

Hayim,

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Hayim Sheynin <hsheynin19444 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Secondly, I am in doubt that it can be understood as "vital
> statisics office."
> It is just office for legal registration of acts of births, marriages,
> producing passports
> (a kind of identity card) and registration of deaths, that before 1917 was
> done in
> the local offices of police (politsejskaja chast'). ...

I've forgotten all the Russian I ever knew, but surely 'vital statistics' is
just the American term for births, marriages and deaths?  (In British
English, vital statistics are a woman's bust, waist and hip measurements).

Regards

Margaret Marks