[Lexicog] Deductions - mind or emotions

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 4 22:48:58 UTC 2008

To Wayne, Bill and Jan,

I see! that I need to give the context. I had told my colleague how I
thought I should go to the faculty building and she responded with "I
feel you do not know the way to the faculty building." In this (English)
context I would have responded with firstly "I see you do not know the
way to the faculty building." or secondly, with the deduction weakened a
bit "I think you do not know the way to the faculty building." But I
would never use "I feel ..." in this context.

I am not sure if I would ever use "feel" where I am expressing my
understanding of someone else's knowledge. I would only really use
"feel" to refer to emotions or intuitions. For example, "I feel you do
not care (for me) any more." or "I feel (intuitively) this is the right
way to go."

So, for me it is to do with the semantics of "feel", i.e. that I use
this verb when referring to emotions or intuitions, rather than about
making a statement on how the evidence was obtained.

John Roberts

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com