[Lexicog] Deductions - mind or emotions

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 5 00:52:52 UTC 2008

Dear John,

I am a native speaker of Russian. I think in Russian this feel/think/believe phrase
would be expessed "mne kazhetsja" (It seems to me). This will fit all your nuances.  By the way the use  of "I believe" for such meaning would be strange to a Russian, because  the Russian parallel  of  this  verb  "Ja  verju"  usually  reserved for the meanings expressing either credo (I believe in God, or in eternal life) of somebody  who states that he agrees with the interlocutor (like I believe you).

Hayim Sheynin

John Roberts <dr_john_roberts at sil.org> wrote:                               I am in Korea at the moment teaching a linguistics course at HanDong
 University. Yesterday (here) one of my Korean colleagues said something
 to me in English that set off a train of thought about how we express
 deduction in English and other languages.

 My colleague said "I feel you do not know the way to the faculty
 building." In my mind (not my heart) I flagged this up as a
 collocational clash of "feel" with "know". As a native English speaker I
 would never use "feel" in this context, I would use "think" or "believe"
 to express my deduction. But then I thought, maybe for other native
 speakers of English it would be OK to say "I feel you do not know the
 way to the faculty building." Maybe it is a male/female thing. The
 Korean colleague who said this is female. Or another possibility is that
 it is a politeness thing. Maybe the person who said this is wanting to
 weaken the judgement by using "feel" instead of "think".

 Anyway, are there any native English speakers out there who think/feel
 that "I feel you do not know the way to the faculty building" is good
 grammatical English?

 Are there any nonnative English speakers out there who think/feel that
 "I feel you do not know the way to the faculty building" is good
 grammatical English?

 I would be interested to know how a deduction is expressed in other
 languages. Would you use the equivalent of "think" in English to express
 this or the equivalent of "feel"?

 John Roberts

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin