[Lexicog] Deductions - mind or emotions

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 5 01:05:26 UTC 2008

Dear John,

Your clarification slightly changes my answer regarding Russian. Average Russian in this case would say "Izvini menja, ty ne prav" (Pardon me, you are not right) and only after that will tell you the right way to go. This is the polite way.
The neutral and rude way: Ty sovsem ne prav (You are absolutely wrong) or
Eto ne tak (This is not so), etc., etc.

Hayim Sheynin

John Roberts <dr_john_roberts at sil.org> wrote:                               To Wayne, Bill and Jan,

 I see! that I need to give the context. I had told my colleague how I
 thought I should go to the faculty building and she responded with "I
 feel you do not know the way to the faculty building." In this (English)
 context I would have responded with firstly "I see you do not know the
 way to the faculty building." or secondly, with the deduction weakened a
 bit "I think you do not know the way to the faculty building." But I
 would never use "I feel ..." in this context.

 I am not sure if I would ever use "feel" where I am expressing my
 understanding of someone else's knowledge. I would only really use
 "feel" to refer to emotions or intuitions. For example, "I feel you do
 not care (for me) any more." or "I feel (intuitively) this is the right
 way to go."

 So, for me it is to do with the semantics of "feel", i.e. that I use
 this verb when referring to emotions or intuitions, rather than about
 making a statement on how the evidence was obtained.

 John Roberts

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin