[Lexicog] Re: Lexical Relations vs. Etymology

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 5 20:11:02 UTC 2008

Mike --

I am not at all surprised to hear you say that linguists don't all agree on
what a word is. If anything were clear to all linguists, that thing would be
uninteresting to them.

I'm not an expert on English grammar, and I don't want to push my position
too strongly, and I do appreciate the discussion. But to me, 'bookshelf' is
a compound noun and 'inspection team' isn't. If you call the latter a
compound noun, then there is no end to the number of compound nouns you
would have in English. Just about any combination of two nouns could be
called a compound noun, where one modifies the other. ("What kind of team?
An inspection team, not a football team or a software development team.")

Some linguists' approach to grammar is purely functional. Mine is not. That
is why, in order to posit a certain grammatical category such as noun or
compound noun or noun phrase, I would want to see the behavior that
justifies that. So I wouldn't be satisfied with "X functions as a noun so it
is a noun" if "function" is purely notional or semantic, and not
paradigmatic or syntagmatic somehow.

To me, the stress pattern of 'bookshelf', with a primary and a tertiary
stress, distinguishes it from the phrase 'book shelf', which would have a
primary and secondary stress. I personally would tend to write 'churchgoer'
as a single word for the same reason, and my spell checker just now didn't
find a problem with that (though it didn't like 'syntagmatic' and
'intonational'). The same goes for 'babysit' or 'anything'. And there may be
some intonational differences between phrases and compound nouns, as well as
stress differences. Spanish 'parabrisas' makes sense as a (compound) noun
too, because otherwise, if it were a prepositional phrase, that wouldn't
explain how it could be preceded with a determiner in a noun phrase.

Isn't the set of nouns in English basically a closed set that could be added
to, whereas the set of sentences for English is an infinitely open set?
Isn't that part of the difference (in English) between a word and
grammatical constructions more inclusive than the word? Didn't Chomsky say
that there is an infinite number of sentences that a grammar of English
could generate, largely because of recursion? Anything having to do with
recursion, I would think would go under syntax rather than under morphology.
True, there are compound nouns in English, but again this is part of a
closed set and not open-ended. And true, I have seen examples of words
embedded in the middle of other English words for humorous effect, but those
are idiomatic and quirky. And true, other languages might behave
differently.

I have already agreed with what you said about noun phrases -- or determiner
phrases -- having determiners as well as adjectives or other nouns as
modifiers. So when we call 'vital statistics office' a phrase, it is not
really a complete phrase. We are using that combination of words out of
context, but normally it would be preceded by 'the' or 'a', in which case it
would be a well-formed NP (or DP). And even if 'vital statistics office'
isn't a noun, because it isn't a single word, it could still be a lexeme.

You may be right that N-bar and close-knit modification might be the same
thing in different theoretical contexts. And I realize that there are
probably better things written about the structure of English noun phrases
since 1970.

-- David F