[Lexicog] Lexical Relations vs. Etymology - using "idiom" in the \ps field

Cheryl Reitz cheryl.reitz at SHAWCABLE.COM
Wed Mar 12 00:10:49 UTC 2008

Thanks everyone, particularly Crockett and David Frank, for your input about the way we've set up range sets and input the data.  I think there is indeed a problem with the way some of the \ps, \se, and \sn data has been entered into our (MABAAN) Toolbox database.  This is going onto our long list of things to check for the second version of the Mabaan dictionary.  If anyone wants a PDF copy of (yesterday's) first edition, send me your e-mail address and I'll send it via attached PDF (3 MB).  We just completed the first version yesterday (256 pages include 5000 Mabaan entries and an English-Mabaan gloss) and we welcome input/suggestions from anyone.  Do not expect a perfectly polished creation; this was completely done by two volunteers, one age 85 (using data collected by several people over 30 years) and there was a hurry to simply get a first draft out quickly, "warts and all" as some people on their way to Sudan tomorrow wanted to bring a copy with them.  Our future goals are to improve things like the problem noted above, as well as change to 100% Unicode (from Mabaan Sophia font) and possibly convert DB to Lexique Pro so we can provide a searchable online version.  Mainly we hope to get further input about tones and vocabulary, feedback on paradigms, more illustrations/photos, etc. from Mabaan speakers, particularly those still living in Sudan.  We've only begun tagging semantic content, and are looking at using some standard codes and classes instead of our own in the future.  It is a very exciting thing to be part of a dictionary like this which is so clearly a cooperatively-created, living document.  This dictionary shows Mabaan to be a traditional and culturally-rich language; with care, respect, and a little creativity it should continue to thrive in this modern digital age.

Cheryl Reitz

  _____

From: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com [mailto:lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Crockett
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:38 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Lexical Relations vs. Etymology - using "idiom" in the \ps field

Cheryl,

I know it is hard to mess with the MDF outputs, but it might be possible. It could be just a change to a cc table that needs to be made. Or maybe a change to the document style sheet. You had better ask Toolbox help for that, though. It’s over my head. There is an email at the SIL site, I think, for Toolbox help. You should write them directly or write to the Toolbox List. You can get specific help for Toolbox there. They are usually very good at responding.

If worse comes to worse, you might get a more preferable output from Lexique Pro. It will accept your Toolbox data and output it to Word, but that would involve more work setting up the data to export to Lexique Pro.

I’m sending another message which addresses what seems to be incorrect \sn entries. If the \sn data is entered correctly, you might not need to change the Toolbox output. I think it will look fine if you get the \sn data correct.

Crockett