[Lexicog] Looking in other dictionaries

Dimitris midiostri at YAHOO.CO.UK
Thu Mar 20 17:10:35 UTC 2008

Dear lexicographers :^)

I am studying a couple of dictionaries in order to understand the way
lexicon entries are made up. I'd like to bring to your attention the
following:

A]
I will give an example of a record that I came across in a major Greek
dictionary and made me wonder about the best way to mark it according to
MDF that will eventually lead to the following output:

embodhizo and (inf.) mbodhizo v. trans. and intrans. {embodhis-a, -tika}
1. (trans.) first_meaning 2. (intrans.) second_meaning: example

(I transliterate and simplify the entry here)

Note:
1) the verb has two forms, one of them informal.
2) the verb can be used both as transitive and intransitive. This is
noted exactly after the lexeme, obviously as a \ps but then, we get to
see between parentheses, which instance concerns each sense.
3) between braces we see grammatical notes about the declension of the
verb (or the noun in other entries)
4) small detail: I like the way the column character introduces the
example after the definition.

How do you think one should handle such a record in order to get the
above output?

B]
Further, I like the way verbs, nouns, and adjectives are being
introduced in this dictionary. Watch:

euros (to)
eurys -eia -y
euryno v. trans.

Where:
5) euros is a noun but for nouns this dictionary rather notes the
article (o, i or to). The article denotes a noun but it is not actually
the lexeme's ps. I've searched the MDF documentation but didn't see a
marker for articles.
6) for adjectives, like eurys, instead of adj. it rather notes the
suffices of the grammatical genders. Again, these denote an adjective
but are not actually a ps.
7) in other lemmata like verbs (euryno in this example) a pure ps
follows the lexeme.

Do you think there is a way to handle this with Toolbox and MDF markers?

I hope I'm not tiring you :^)
Dimitris