[Lexicog] Incorporating an existing English/Vernacular word list/dictionary into a dictionary project....

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 25 01:48:22 UTC 2008

Hello!  I am a community linguist (both some formal and informal training at
the master's level) and a member of community with a highly endangered
language.  I have been involved in some basic phonological analysis and also
revitalization efforts (creation of basic pedagogical materials).  Soon  I
will become part of a team that will be working to create the first
dictionary of our language that focuses on the vernacular.  In other words,
it will not be a translation of an English dictionary.   It is exciting.
However, not being trained in lexicography, I am finding the learning curve
quite steep!

Here, I have a question.  An English-vernacular word list/dictionary of our
language exists.  The headwords are English and there are one, two or three
possible translations given in our language as well as some example
sentences.  There is no grammatical information included at all.  (Still, it
is a wonderful resource!)  I would like to know how this could be included
in the dictionary project that will be starting shortly.  To complicate
matters, the orthography is pretty good but not linguistically adequate
(being based on English spellings!).  We likely will be using a different
orthography (as well as IPA for research purposes).   The creation of a
digital version of the existing word list/dictionary is possible (once
permission is secured).

As the project is somewhat politically charged at present, I would prefer
not divulging the name of our language.  I trust that you all understand how
touchy projects like this can be and will not press me to on this matter.
I thank you for you understand....

H.S.

PS:  I have taken a look at the DDP developed by Ron Moe and  have asked the
project leader to consider this approach.  I think it could work very well
for us as time is of the essence!  Our Elders are passing way every day....