[Lexicog] Making verbs alphabetize correctly in an English to Karuk finderlist

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 27 03:13:27 UTC 2008

What's wrong with "year, be a ~"? In the English-Hopi part of the Hopi dictionary there are entries such as "crowd (of people) kyaysiwqam, naspawtaqam; be a ~ naspawta".

Maybe, though, I am missing the point. Since the Hopi Dictionary database is in a pre-Shoebox user-friendly DOS database program, I haven't have to deal with any of the great number of technical difficulties raised in this list regarding using Shoebox and its successors.

--Ken Hill

Susan Gehr <sgehr at karuk.us> wrote:                                I’m working on the second edition of the Karuk Dictionary, and one of the suggestions that came out of the Karuk Dictionary Advisory Group was to address the clump of verbs that is stuck in the “be ___” section of the English-Karuk finderlist.

 We’re using Shoebox for Mac, though once I get my license for Office 2003 for Windows, we’re moving over to Toolbox for Windows.

 I knew how to avoid clumping verbs at the “to _____” section of the English-Karuk, so the verb “bend” is between “Ben Wilder” and “beneath”.

 But I wasn’t sure what to do with verbs that translate as “be ____”, such as “be a year” “be exhausted” “be completely exhausted” “be sober”, “be thin” and “be very thin” “be sick” and “get sick”

 What would you do with those verbs?

 What would you put in the \ge \re and \de fields?

 Thanks,
 --
 Susan Gehr
 Karuk Language Program Director