[Lexicog] Digital Glossarization

kawaguy32 KawaGeo at CHARTER.NET
Fri May 9 04:18:00 UTC 2008

Hi, I am new to this group. I sure hope this group would help me out
on my new project. The words above I just made up. It is an electronic
process of the raw text of a given book into electronic book with an
indexed glossary built-in. Amazon.com folks who sell books use
"glossarized" for some of their selling printed books. The word I made
up seems too mouthful. Is there such a shorter term for it?

I ain't no lexicographer but long experienced programmer (over 40
years, now retired.) I developed a relatively sized program that is
able to "pluck" dictionary definitions from the net for each "unknown"
word in a given book and store them on a local system such as a
personal computer. That is the first stage of the said process. The
next stage is then to "glossarize" some those "unknown" words for the
given book. The definitions stored are in HTML format for previewing
purpose. I developed a rather small program that is able to "lookup"
those definitions with an aid of word list from which a user is able
to select a word for the definition. It is just a preview program
before going into "glossanized" process. The second stage is not yet
developed but I am about to commence. I am wondering if there is such
software available on market similar to mine.

If anybody is interested in looking at the previewer with a small
dictionary of "plucked" definitions for your comments, I'll be happy
to upload a zipped file to this group. I would appreciate your comments.

I got the concept of "glossarizing" process not long ago so that I
could enjoy reading ebooks with glossary built-in. Yes, I know there
are already on market electronic dictionaries for ebook readers but
they are not so good enough and sometimes too many definitions for the
same word, somewhat distracts the reader from the continuious thought
while reading. The "glossarized" electronic books would be an ideal
for children, not only those but also ESL readers like myself. I am
deaf since infancy. My vocabulary is relatively low as compared to
many hearing folks'. You can see my English in this writing is not
that great.

If this group I just joined is not the one I could inquire, I would
very much appreciate your directons.

Thank you.

Geo Massar

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com