[Lexicog] Digital Glossarization

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Fri May 9 16:25:37 UTC 2008

Geo Massar wrote:

“"glossarized" ... Is there such a shorter term for it?”

We normally speak of ‘glossing’ a text, using ‘gloss’ as a verb. However the
term ‘to gloss’ usually refers to adding a brief translation either above or
below the line of text in a book. The noun ‘gloss’ usually refers to a very
brief (one or two word) translation of a word in a second language, but can
refer to a short label, explanation, or definition of something in the same
language. A text that has a gloss under each word is called a ‘glossed
text’. A list of technical terms at the end of a book is called a
‘glossary’. Such a glossary would include a definition of each technical
term. I’ve never heard the word ‘glossarize’ before and my spell checker
just flagged it. If a book has a glossary, the normal way to refer to this
fact is to say something like “with a helpful 200 word glossary of technical
terms.” I looked up ‘glossarize’ on Google and only got 770 hits, most of
which seemed to be on marginal websites. In contrast ‘glossary’ got
127,000,000 hits. This implies that ‘glossarize’ is not a ‘good’ English
word, but has been coined by analogy with theory/theorize,
category/categorize, memory/memorize. It appears to mean something like “(1)
to provided glossary entries for a text, (2) to produce a glossary of a
book, (3) to add a label to a picture.” Perhaps someday ‘glossarize’ will
enter the mainstream of English. In the meantime ‘glossarize’ is one of
those terms that would need to be included in a glossary. :-)

I would imagine that a tool that would look up any given term would be
highly useful to language learners. Others on this list have pointed out the
difficulties in producing a tool that would work on any language. However if
all you want to do is produce a glossary for English, this would be fairly
simple, since English has very few inflectional affixes.

I believe there are numerous electronic dictionaries of English that enable
the user to type an English word and see a definition of the word. It might
be an improvement to have a tool that would enable you to click on any word
on the screen and get a definition of the word. An alternative would be to
hold the mouse cursor over a word and get a definition of the word. I would
imagine that some of us would be interested in a software tool that would
enable us to produce either a monolingual or bilingual dictionary/glossary
that could be used as an aid in reading electronic texts in an unfamiliar
language. If you want better input from this group, it might be good to give
us a better idea of exactly what you want to do.

Ron Moe

   _____