[Lexicog] Digital Glossarization

kawaguy32 KawaGeo at CHARTER.NET
Fri May 9 21:44:48 UTC 2008

Jimm, thank you for your support and comments.

Mike, I'll look into the lengthy threat you brought up. When time
permits, I'll make some comments. Thanks.

Ron wrote:

... "Such a glossary would include a definition of each technical term."

I know many technical textbooks come with glossary in the back. Could
it be used for non-technical materials such as fictions?

... "It might be an improvement to have a tool that would enable you
to click on any word on the screen and get a definition of the word.
An alternative would be to hold the mouse cursor over a word and get a
definition of the word. I would imagine that some of us would be
interested in a software tool that would enable us to produce either a
monolingual or bilingual dictionary/glossary that could be used as an
aid in reading electronic texts in an unfamiliar language. If you want
better input from this group, it might be good to give us a better
idea of exactly what you want to do."

There are actually two software tools: namely, word plucker and
glossary builder/book "glossarizer". (Sorry but I didn't make up that
word, "plucker". The first hit at Google gives me an idea.) I don't
think it would be possible to integrate those two tools into one
because one needs to intervene the process for glossary improvement
such as to abridge/edit the dictionary entries into a fewer words as
according to the context in the text. "The fewer words, the better."

I'll be happy to dicuss further my plan for those two tools in detais
in the next messages of this thread.

Thank you.

Geo Massar

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com