[Lexicog] ANOTHER OPTION

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 13 21:55:18 UTC 2008

Jan:
I am sorry then, I simply did not know.  I do know that Justin was influenced in the IDD selection via Linda C, who he presently works with at Kaw under an ANA grant.  It seems she wrote the Manuel for the IDD program I understand, and is the one who is primarily responsible for compiling their Kaw Lexicon.
Perhaps, you might make a commentary for the Lex-group folks, so that others like myself who are unaware of the maze do not devote lost time to checking into it.  I also know Parks relies on his team of IU PC Techs, and allows them to work a resolve to his requests.  I guess in this case, the techs got carried away with their imaginary and creativeness.
I suppose my lesson is to not pass on tips and information on anything I don't know about first hand.
Jimm

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jan Ullrich
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:30 PM
  Subject: RE: [Lexicog] ANOTHER OPTION

  Jim,

  I am familiar with the IDD software and I would not recommend it.

  It doesn't do half the things that Toolbox can do, both in regard to database issues and export.

  And it is not flexible at all.

  Justin below says that "it's a big and complicated program as far as editing is concerned, with maybe twenty or more tables associated with each entry."

  I can't but agree with this statement. To create an entry the user has to go through a large number of dialog boxes which can only be reached via mouse (not keyboard) and fill the data in those boxes. In Toolbox, on the other hand, one can create an entry using a single keystroke and fill it in by simply typing.

  At the same time I am aware there are programs that are more user-friendly and easier to learn than Toolbox, such as LexiPro, but I don't think IDD is one of them.

  Jan