[Lexicog] (Re)Definition of marriage (was: When Words Lose Meaning)

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat May 17 23:34:45 UTC 2008

I'm sorry, but I disagree quite a bit with your statements. See for my
remarks and questions within your response.

Fritz Goerling

BB wrote:

I'm sorry, but I disagree in the extreme with your statement.

Various major religions define and have defined marriage in many different
ways,

    I would say in "some" and "somewhat" different ways." The three
monotheistic religions differ not so much traditionally in their definition
of marriage.

and it is not merely religions that define what marriage is (e.g., France,
Germany, Turkey, where the religious ceremony has no legal meaning).

    Sure, not only religions define what marriage is.

Take Buddhism, for example, many sects of which recognize same-sex marriage.

   Is what you call "same sex MARRIAGE" called "marriage" or how is it being
referred to in Buddhism?

Another example is Christianity, many sects of which also recognize same-sex
marriage.

   Can you mention a few?

AFAIK same-sex marriage has been happening for several hundred years (I
believe at least 1000) within Christianity.

   To my knowledge what you call "same-sex MARRIAGE" has traditionally not
been called "marriage" in Christianity.