[Lexicog] Phrase -- Long Word, With Gaps

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon May 19 16:37:12 UTC 2008

Benjamin Barrett wrote:

“Have you checked out Wiktionary?”

Scott Nelson wrote:

“I'm waiting with bated breath for a true e-reference world.”

Lexicographers of the world unite! The e-reference world awaits us. I don’t
think Wiktionary is what we need. But it is certainly better than nothing.
Let me propose what I believe would be ideal for us as lexicographers.

1. A “Lexicography Resources” website. I am about to set up such a website,
but would be very happy for suggestions. Here is what I envision:

1a. The website would be a collaborative research effort. It would be open
to anyone, although we would probably want to screen those making
contributions, perhaps with a password system. But it would be a neutral
site and open to anyone who would want to make use of the materials on the
site. I wouldn’t want to use the LexicographyList site because you have to
sign up on the list in order to contribute to or access the materials on the
site. (At least that is how I understand it. Please correct me if I am
wrong.)

1b. A place for us to upload lexicography course materials. Anyone wanting
to learn more about lexicography could take the course (or courses).

1c. A place for us to upload articles on various aspects of lexicography. We
could begin by making a list of topics in lexicography. This list would be
organized so that it would be easy to find a topic. Anyone wishing to
contribute could upload an article to the page devoted to that topic. Anyone
wishing to know more about the topic could download the articles.

1d. I would like people to contribute to three basic areas of knowledge: (a)
theoretical lexicography, (b) practical methodology, (c) our understanding
of particular lexemes and semantic domains. (I’ll expand on this point in
1e.)

1e. In order to define words (the hardest part of lexicography in my
estimation), we need emic and etic descriptions of lexical sets. This would
consist of studies of a lexical set in a particular language (emic), or a
comparison of the same basic lexical set in a number of languages (etic).
For instance we could all study the equivalent of the lexical set
‘happy/glad/joyful/cheerful/ecstatic’ in our language. Each of us could
describe the words in the lexical set in our language and upload the
description to the website. Then someone could do a cross-linguistic study
using these descriptions and write up a general (universal/etic) description
of the lexical set. Then, if someone else wanted to study that lexical set
in a new language, they could read the descriptions in order to understand
what issues to look for. I’ve already started work on such materials and am
excited about the possibilities.

2. A dictionary website similar to Wiktionary. We could use Wiktionary, but
only if they agreed to significant changes to their system. We might be able
to persuade them if we as a group made some suggestions and offered to help.
Alternatively we could use the Lexicography Resources website, but could set
up a separate section for dictionaries. I realize that there are numerous
places where we can archive our dictionaries. But I don’t know of anyplace
other than Wiktionary where people can contribute online.

2a. The website would be a place where we could upload dictionaries “in
process”. In other words we wouldn’t need to worry about the dictionaries
being perfect or publishable quality.

2b. Like Wiktionary, others could contribute to the development of the
dictionary. Perhaps we would need to have one person serve as the “editor”
of each dictionary. Another alternative is to limit the contributors to
those who are true lexicographers (or use some way to ensure that
contributions are of reasonable quality). Another alternative is to merely
upload dictionaries to the website but not provide any way for others to
contribute. So the website would merely be a place to archive dictionaries
and a place for others to access them.

2c. We could easily(?) set up a dictionary project for every language in the
world, rather than wait for someone to volunteer to set it up. We could then
scour the archives of organizations such as SIL for word lists of each
language. For instance I collected wordlists for all the languages of Uganda
and could upload hundreds (in some cases thousands) of words in each
language. I believe it would be relatively easy to collect at least the
Swadesh wordlist (or some equivalent) in every language in the world.

2d. We would need a standard for encoding the dictionary information. Such
standards exist, but we would all have to agree on the standard and use it.
For instance the headword might be in a local script, but each word would
need to be transcribed in IPA (or something similar) in order for everyone
to read it.

2e. We would need software to edit the dictionaries. (But only if we wanted
people to be able to contribute online. Otherwise people would edit their
dictionaries offline and merely upload them to the site.)

2f. We would need software to search the dictionaries. For instance someone
could ask to see all the words in all the dictionaries that contain the word
‘happy’ in the definition.

Please let me know what you think.

Ron Moe

SIL International