[Lexicog] Re: Phrasefinder

Rudolph Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat May 24 19:43:14 UTC 2008

I had a similar experience to Grant's when I looked at their discussion
forum, which is like many such on any topic, full of questions and
uninformed speculation. But Gary Martin's Phrase a Week gives remarkable
citations from obscure regional newspapers in the US, and his discussions
of alternative etymologies (he even cites some of the more absurd ones
just to cover the ground) always seem judicious and usually come down on
the opposite side from obvious folk etymologies. Shakespeare often gets
cited, where relevant. A good test would be to subscribe to Phrase a Week
and judge the results. I've certainly found it informative.

   Rudy

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com