[Lexicog] Re: Phrasefinder -- more links

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Mon May 26 22:38:12 UTC 2008

Thanks, Rudy,

It worked, and I find the site helpful. - Fritz

Fritz,

I clicked on the link at the bottom of my note (below), and it came up
immediately.

Typing in "clue" in the search window brought up a number of listings
from various sources (I guess that it was a Google search), the first
of which was from Phrasefinder, and gave this url:

http://www.phrases.
<http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/i-havent-got-a-clue.html>
org.uk/meanings/i-havent-got-a-clue.html

Clicking on "Phrase Dictionary" at the top brought up this url:

http://www.phrases. <http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/index.html>
org.uk/meanings/index.html

with phrases listed by Shakespeare, the Bible, and Sailor's lingo, and
an alphabetical array to look for phrases indexed by initial letter.
Also listed to the side are recent choices in the "Phrase a Week" mailing;
the one on "silver bullet" gives some interesting cultural information on
this item -- as a product of the Lone Ranger generation (on radio), I had
assumed that its use originated with him, and was intrigued to learn that
this had antecedents.

I hope these work. They should help you judge the utility/accuracy
of the site. The online forum, for all its annoyances, does provide
an avenue for feedback to correct mistakes.

Rudy

Re: Phrasefinder
Posted by: "Fritz Goerling" Fritz_Goerling@
<mailto:Fritz_Goerling%40sil.org> sil.org fede_goerling
Sun May 25, 2008 1:47 pm (PDT)

Is this site inactive, Rudy? I tried to access it a number of times.

Fritz

Every once in a while we get an inquiry on this list about the meaning of
some phrase or idiom, which engenders a particularistic reply (or multiple
replies). I have been impressed with the judicious and historically
interesting work of Gary Martin, whose Phrasefinder online source is very
impressive. Unless others have other opinions about this source, I'd like
to suggest that we simply routinely refer basic inquiries to this site:

http://www.phrases. <http://www.phrases.org.uk> org.uk