[Lexicog] OpenOffice spellchecker?

lengosi pcunger at MSN.COM
Sat Nov 1 02:10:04 UTC 2008

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Mike Maxwell <maxwell at ...> wrote:

> lengosi wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone here has experience creating a spellchecker for a
> > minority language for the OpenOffice.org suite?
>
> A lot depends on the kind of language: does it have lots of
inflectional
> morphology?  Free compounding?  Those would make it hard to create a
> spell checker without a morphological parser.
>
> (If it doesn't put spaces between words in the writing system, like
> Thai, that would also be a problem.  But I'm guessing that's not the
case.)
> --
> 	Mike Maxwell
> 	maxwell at ...

The language in question is Solomon Islands Pijin. A 'standardised
spelling' was recently decided upon. SI Pijin has a transitivising
suffix conditioned by the vowel(s) in the stem (-Vm; so -am, -em, -im
[I'm not sure if -om or -um are used]). I'm not sure what you mean by
'free compounding' but compounds are not uncommon, e.g.:

bele 'belly' + ran 'run' -> beleran 'diarrhoea

(at least I /think/ that's a compound . . . )

I guess both of those things could complicate things, eh? I hadn't
considered parsing things; I just figured it would be a case of
entering all the wordforms and that would be it. I guess there's a
reason these things aren't already done . . . it's not as easy as it
appears!

Thanks for you feedback.

Paul

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com