[Lexicog] OpenOffice spellchecker?

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat Nov 1 02:38:38 UTC 2008

lengosi wrote:
> The language in question is Solomon Islands Pijin. A 'standardised
> spelling' was recently decided upon. SI Pijin has a transitivising
> suffix conditioned by the vowel(s) in the stem (-Vm; so -am, -em, -im
> [I'm not sure if -om or -um are used]).

Whether this would be a problem depends on how frequent it is.  I would
guess that it's not very frequent, i.e. that it would not be out of the
question to simply list all the transitivized forms (in addition to
their base forms).

I'm not sure what you mean by
> 'free compounding' but compounds are not uncommon, e.g.:
>
> bele 'belly' + ran 'run' -> beleran 'diarrhoea

Again, whether that's a problem depends on how common it is.  (If the
two parts of the compound were written separately, like 'dog biscuit',
it would not be a problem at all.)

> I guess both of those things could complicate things, eh?

Not necessarily a lot.  It sounds like you don't have much (if any)
inflectional morphology, and that's what can cause problems.  If that's
correct, then a listing approach would work.  (And as another respondent
mentioned, there are tools that allow you to work with morphology; but
it does have the potential of being messy in some languages,
particularly where there's allomorphy.)

> I hadn't
> considered parsing things; I just figured it would be a case of
> entering all the wordforms and that would be it.

In the case of this language, it may be.  As long as you're willing to
enter a *lot* of wordforms, it may be OK.  You may need to enter a lot
of proper nouns that you wouldn't normally enter in a dictionary; but
that is doable.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu