[Lexicog] Re: OpenOffice spellchecker?

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sun Nov 2 00:53:17 UTC 2008

Scott wrote:
> I use spellcheck solely to catch silly typos: my spelling is better
> than any of these programs.

    Mayan two.

> Note that I have not mentioned the grammar check which has gone from
> poor to atrocious as the decades pass.  I warned my ESOL students
> never to use the grammar; either ask me or ask another professor.

The grammar checker in MsWord is, afaik, intended to prevent native
speakers from making the kinds of "mistakes" that style guides typically
warn  about: run-on sentences, passive voice, and for all I know split
infinitives and sentence-final prepositions.  These are relatively
straightforward to check, and some kind of canned suggestion ("don't use
passive voice in this sentence") is fairly easy to come up with.

A grammar checker for non-native English speakers writing in English
would be quite a different beast, and would probably require semantic
and pragmatic understanding well beyond anything possible today.  Not
that that prevents researchers looking at the question.

(Of course, it's quite a different question whether the style guides are
right.)
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu