[Lexicog] Phrasal Synonyms For, References to -- "Overly Talkative" Part II

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 6 11:44:27 UTC 2008

        Folks, Fritz, and fellow lexico-buffs. I thought I'd finish my
thought
about over-talkativeness, brevity, and the music of language. My point
was
to show the paradox of the axiom. I've found that when a blanket truism
is
declared, there is another, opposite truism that contradicts it, sort of
like
the yin-yang principle.
        My list of synonymous phrases and allusions for "verbosity"
included
slightly altered meanings, to include: wasteful, idle chat (not just
banter or
simple chit-chat), foolish talk, or inappropriate talk. I simply lumped
them
together.
       But under a morerefined listing for a more efficient phrasal
thesaurus I
would separate them and make each one sub-entries under the main entry
"talk." An index at the end would eliminate a lot of repetition. Other
sub-categories under "talk" beside idle chat and foolish/empty talk
would be.... 3)
deceptive talk   4) insulting talk  5) scolding, chiding, and
reprimanding talk
6) humorous, joking, teasing talk. All of these would have tens of
tokens as well.
        I consider allusions (i.e. "set" phrasal implications and
proverbs) to be
important elements of the semantics of a word, since set phrases
function as
synonyms to single words as closely as any single word. They are simply
long words
with gaps. Traditional single-word entries in dictionaries or
thesauruses seldom
include these allusional sources (though they may include some idiomatic
phrases)
but because the point in those books is to produce explicit
"equalizations," not
allusional, inferential, or proverbial equivalents. The phrase gets the
short shrift.
       For instance, the phrase "Shut up!" though technically means "stop
talking," the implication is that the person is talking too much, or
wrongly, or
inappropriately. And it (usually in the imperative mood) can be used
teasingly as a
snynonym phrase to "pooh-phooh" someone (in the indicative mood) when
the
dialoguing counterpart says something in opposition to (or something
unsettling
to) the speaker -- as Jay Leno does when he says, "Oh, shut up!" to his
audience.
      A comprehensive thesaurus might include the proverb "All it takes
for
an argument is four deaf ears and two mouths." in the sub-category
"overly
talkative." "Empty vessels make the most sound." might go under the
sub-category
"empty talk," as would a quotable quote of Shakespeare's like...."It is
tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
      The following group of phrases is sort of an addendum to my earlier
list
and is largely mishmash in order, except for the proverb section and the
humor
section.

Scott Nelson

Perfect Matches (Humor):

They're a perfect match. He's a fire-breather at a circus, and she's
full of hot air.

They're a perfect match. He's a podiatrist -- and she's always putting
her foot in her mouth.
{put one's foot in one's mouth}

They're a perfect match. She's sells balloons at the fair, and he's full
of hot air.

A man who married a woman because she was a good conversationalist left
her -- because she talked too much.

Proverbs, Wit, and Advice:

A child learns to talk in about two years, but it takes about sixty
years to learn to keep his mouth shut.

A closed mouth catches no flies.

A gossip talks about others; a bore talks about himself; and a brilliant
conversationalist talks about you.

I thought talk was cheap, until I saw our telephone bill.

If a man keeps his trap shut, the world will beat a path to his door.
(keep one's big trap shut)
(Shut your big trap.)

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it
and remove all doubt.

One minute of keeping your mouth shut is worth an hour's explanation.

Open mouth invites foot.

Q: How do you know when you're talking to a mad scientist and his clone?