[Lexicog] Spellchecking Unicode in MS-Office

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at LAKHOTA.ORG
Fri Nov 14 13:33:23 UTC 2008

> Would it be possible to use another form of h in your data and spell
> checker list that would be recognized by Word as a word building character
> and yet would still be easily recognizable by the human eye. For instance,
> try a decomposed character (eg h with a caron combined).

That is probably not a favorable solution. We have invested time and funds
into developing fonts and a keyboard layout with lots of autocorrecting
features. All of these and other tools that our users have been trained to
employ use the standard orthography with the appropriate characters. Using
characters outside of the orthography at this point would seem like a step
backwards.

We consider the creating of an on-line spellchecker - the users could copy
and paste their Lakhota text into an input field on a web-site and the text
would be analyzed by our lemmatizer. This can be done, but it is still a few
steps behind the functionality available for modern languages.

Jan