[Lexicog] Digest Number 1052

Bob Parks bobp at CLARITYCONNECT.COM
Sat Nov 15 20:15:01 UTC 2008

>Posted by: "rtroike at email.arizona.edu"
><mailto:rtroike at email.arizona.edu?Subject=
>Re%3AStoring%20stuff%20in%2Fon%20a%20computer>rtroike at email.arizona.edu
><http://profiles.yahoo.com/rct1903> rct1903
>
>Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:07 pm (PST)
>

>(from the New York Review of Books online):
>
>Q. My colleagues are divided in their opinions about ?storing data in a
>computer? versus ?storing data on a computer.? Which is correct? Thanks.
>
>A.
>You can do either, but I would store the data in the computer. It used to be
>easy to store stuff on a computer, but now with flat screens and laptops it
>tends to slide off.

Storing stuff in a computer can also be problematic.  Stuff can
interfere with air circulation and overheat the computer; and its
bothersome to have to unscrew the cabinet every time you need some
stuff. I would recommend as an alternative to store stuff on the hard
disk in the computer.  Disks are small these days, so to compensate
for the limited surface area, try typing the contents of the stuff on
the keyboard to get it onto the hard disk. :-)

Bob

--
*  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus on the web:
http://www.wordsmyth.net