[Lexicog] Digest Number 1050

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Tue Nov 18 05:58:14 UTC 2008

Ronald Moe wrote:
> Words tend to cluster around hubs. This is the basis of a semantic
> domain—a hub with a cluster of related words. As I’ve studied
> semantic domains, I’ve come to several conclusions. For instance I’ve
> known for a long time that words were not uniformly distributed, but
> tend to cluster.
 > Another puzzling feature of the lexicon is that high-frequency,
 > mono-morphemic lexemes tend to be hubs.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this...what does it mean for one word
to be a 'hub', rather than another?  I.e. how do we know which words are
hubs?

And what does it mean for words to cluster around hubs--that there is
some kind of semantic empty space between clusters, like the more or
less empty space between galaxies?  The latter can be measured in light
years, and the average distance between stars in a galaxy is much less
than the average distance between galaxies (or between a star in one
galaxy and the nearest star in a neighboring galaxy).  What is the
metric for measuring the space between word clusters, i.e. how do we
know that the clusters don't abut each other or even overlap?
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com