[Lexicog] suffix -dom

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Oct 14 19:12:10 UTC 2008

That is a deep philosophical question, Ken.

What does it say about dogs and cats?

-- Fritz

There's dogdom but no catdom. What does this say about the semantics of
-dom?

--Ken

--- On Tue, 10/14/08, John Roberts <dr_john_roberts at sil.org> wrote:

From: John Roberts <dr_john_roberts at sil.org>
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] suffix -dom
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 12:24 PM

Hi Fritz,

Here's another:

Suffix. -dom. situation referred to by the first part of the word ...
Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionar <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/>
y.org/wiki/-dom" :-)

The url you gave doesn't seem to work for me.

John Roberts

Fritz Goerling wrote:

Thanks for the examples, Neal,

I especially like "random" and "seldom." :-)

I just discovered the following article "The Allegedly dead suffix -dom in
modern English" at

http://www.jstor. <http://www.jstor.org/pss/458952>  org/pss/458952

Fritz

princedom
freedom
dukedom
boredom
serfdom
kingdom
sheikhdom
sheikdom
officialdom
thraldom
seldom
earldom
random
Christendom
stardom
martyrdom
wisdom
topsy-turvydom

Neal

http://www.ncbrinne <http://www.ncbrinneman.com>  man.com

Today I discovered in the announcement of the world championship of chess an
interesting coinage "chessdom."

I wonder how productive word formation with the suffix -dom is in modern
English, be it cases like wisdom, martyrdom, kingdom, Christendom in which
the semantic value of the suffix is not the same.

Fritz Goerling