[Lexicog] Web-based Historical Dictionaries

Wed Oct 15 01:38:59 UTC 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 18:13, Joseph T. Farquharson wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone knows about any dictionary prepared
> on historical principles (with illustrative quotations from
> published works) which is web-based and was started as a web-based
> project as opposed to the normal route of paper first and then
> electronic publication?

I know of two:

1. My own Double-Tongued Dictionary, which includes about 1700
historical entries, though I have stopped creating them for the time
being.

http://www.doubletongued.org/

2. The Dictionary of Singlish.

http://www.singlishdictionary.com/

Best wishes,

Grant Barrett

Co-host, A Way With Words
http://www.waywordradio.org

Editor, Double-Tongued Dictionary
http://www.doubletongued.org/

Vice President of Communications and Technology,
American Dialect Society
http://www.americandialect.org

Editor of The Official Dictionary of Unofficial English (2006) and the
Oxford Dictionary of American Political Slang (2004).

gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
113 Park Place, Apt. 3
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(646) 286-2260