[Lexicog] Law of Synonyms

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Wed Oct 15 16:06:59 UTC 2008

If you are going to complain about the singular use of "phenomena," then you ought to include "data" and "media" while you're at it.

-- David Frank

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Benjamin Barrett
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:55 AM
  Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Law of Synonyms

  I think someone on the American Dialect Society once noted that agenda used to be a plural noun. Surely, that jarred many people's ears when it made the transition. Younger people don't seem to be bothered by the plural forms homeworks and slangs. You simply cannot stop this sort of linguistic change! BB