[Lexicog] suffix -dom

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Oct 15 17:20:53 UTC 2008

Ken,

They have to fight for dominance as real cats and dogs do. In some cases
they get along. Maybe that would give rise to a new coinage: dogcatdom.

Fritz

I stand corrected and, as a dictionary compiler, I should have known better.
When something is not in "the dictionary" it does not mean it isn't used.
But with the number of hits for catdom being only 15.6% of those for dogdom,
the question of dogs vs. cats remains.

--Ken

--- On Tue, 10/14/08, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

From: Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] suffix -dom
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 1:16 PM

Since Google gives 5370 hits for catdom and 34,500 for dogdom but catdom is
evidently not in the dictionary, it seems that the lexicography is going to
the dogs. BB

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Fritz Goerling wrote:

That is a deep philosophical question, Ken.

What does it say about dogs and cats?

-- Fritz

There's dogdom but no catdom. What does this say about the semantics of
-dom?

--Ken

--- On Tue, 10/1.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=11682781/grpspId=1709195911/msgI
d=4584/stime=1224011543/nc1=3848627/nc2=5028924/nc3=5170420>