[Lexicog] POS Annotation Tools for Bantu Langgauges

Piotr Bański bansp at O2.PL
Wed Oct 15 20:04:39 UTC 2008

Dear Emmanuel,

> Thanks for your indication. Actually, I was in need of a open source,
> or free software that can be customised to certain language on one's
> choice and provide results similar to the ones from:
> http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/claws/trial.html (appropiate for English) or
>  (for Kiswahili). This can be either a
> standalone or web-based tool (in PHP).

Right off the bat, I can only recall Morris Fried's analyser (not a
straightforward annotation tool) for Swahili, rather obsolete but open
source (in C/C++, I think). I can't locate it on the web, but I think I
may be able to send it to you off list after a bit of searching.

There was also a book by a Bulgarian scholar, on building a Prolog
analyser for Swahili. I'm not sure about the licensing status of the
analyser though, but I can ask a friend who has a copy of it. The book
is in Bulgarian though :-/

But there must be something generic and open source that you could
customize... try the nltk suite perhaps: http://nltk.sourceforge.net/

Please be so kind as to post to the list when you find something useful
for your task. Ah, you may also want to ask on the corpora list,
http://gandalf.aksis.uib.no/corpora/ -- they know a lot about annotation
tools.

Regards,

  Piotr