[Lexicog] suffix -dom

Hayim Sheynin hayim.sheynin at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 15 21:46:22 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I did not follow entire discussion on the semantics of the suffix
-dom, and maybe someone
already mentioned what I have to state.
First of all I feel that the major function of -dom is to serve
formation of abstract nouns from
other nouns or adjectives. In this function it is a parallel to -ing
suffix used for formation of
abstract nouns from verbal forms. (Cp. Lat. supinum form and words
formed with suffixes
-a, -ia, -um, -ium, -as (like scientia, itum, gravitas, universitas, humanitas)
As regarding 'dogdom' and 'catdom' I feel they are more or less
artificial words (maybe
neologisms), and it doesn't matter that one is more frequent than the
other. One should
check their stylistic use. Perhaps they are used in a kind of
humoristic meaning, something
like the kingdom of dogs and cats. As for several other meaning of
-dom, 1) some of the
suffixes have more than one meaning; 2) the language has economy
principle; 3) in difference to
some precise sciences like math, the language has advantage of
selectivity principle.

I hope this is helpful.

Hayim Sheynin

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com