[Lexicog] suffix -dom

Chaz Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Thu Oct 16 01:41:47 UTC 2008

I mean, is the -tum in Datum anologous to the -tum in Heiligtum? (I
am guessing it isn't.)

One of my fellow German teachers from years ago grew up in Texas. He
took German class in school anyway and once his teacher said "all
words ending in -ung are feminine nouns." He then raised his hand and
said "What about der Dung?" And the teacher said, "OK, all nouns
except that one are feminine." He raised his hand again and asked
"What about der Kuhdung?" Then the teacher kicked him out of class!

-Chaz