[Lexicog] Law of Synonyms

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Thu Oct 16 06:12:49 UTC 2008

I'm feeling crochety tonight.

Ronald Moe wrote:
> I believe the correct claim concerning 'synonyms' is that there are
> no exact synonyms. For two words to be exact synonyms they would have
>  to be interchangeable in any and all contexts with no change in
> meaning or any other aspect of usage.

Well, that's one definition of 'synonym'; I prefer another, which leaves
off the "or any other aspect of usage."

> Concerning 'laptop' and 'notebook', IBM does not sell 'laptops'.

Ah, but I owned an IBM laptop once.  Maybe IBM doesn't call it that, but
I did, and so did (and probably do) lots of other people, regardless of
the way IBM might prefer the world to be.  Just like I went and xeroxed
some receipts yesterday.

> I shudder to think how I would clearly and concisely state the
> difference between 'laptop' and 'notebook'.

I think the point is that there is no difference--in meaning.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com