[Lexicog] Law of Synonyms

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Fri Oct 17 14:56:10 UTC 2008

I had a similar computer, a competing brand. But you had a 10 mb hard disk! I'm jealous!

As I recall, the term used to describe these computers was "luggable." My next computer after that (still without a hard disk) was a "lunchbucket" style.

-- David Frank

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kenneth C. Hill
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:44 PM
  Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Law of Synonyms

        In my experience a "portable" computer is not necessarily a "laptop" or "notebook" computer. My first computer (in 1985) was a KayPro with a (wow!) 10-megabyte hard disk. Its keyboard and central processing unit, including the monitor with a green display, clipped together to form a single unit about the size of a suitcase. It was portable but rather heavy and would never be regarded as a "laptop" computer.

        --Ken