[Lexicog] meaning and usage of "on me"

Marc FRYD marc.fryd at UNIV-POITIERS.FR
Sun Oct 19 14:14:08 UTC 2008

Dear Kenneth,
This form of "ethical dative" is also to be found in French (Ils ont été
_lui _casser le guidon de sa bicyclette / ??they went and broke his
bike's handlebar _on him_; Et pour couronner le tout, ils ont été lui
convaincre son fils de s'enrôler dans l'armée / ??and to top it all,
they went and convinced her son to join the army _on her_), and I
believe a number of other languages (e.g. Spanish: Mi niño no me come /
??my son refuses to eat _on me_). There would appear to be a strong
(though perhaps not exclusively) detrimental justification to this
structure (confirmed by your own examples).//
As regards English, I vaguely recollect reading smth to the effect that
the 'on me' phrase was calqued on the Irish language.
Best,
Marc

--
Dr. Marc FRYD