[Lexicog] On Me

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 19 15:11:11 UTC 2008

Marc, I checked my database (I collect and collate these things.) I
found a bunch that might have similar meanings to the ones you
mentioned with "on me" per se, but have different meanings depending
on the verb preceding the phrase. Some are idiomatic, some are simply
part and parcel with one of meanings of the verb itself. Some are
usually used only with "me," while others could be used with other
pronouns, or formal nouns.

He snuck up on me. He crept up on me. = (approach secretly) i.e. He
approached me without my knowing it.

I have no money on me. = (possession)i.e. I am cashless.

He wrote an essay on me and my life. = (regarding; about me)

It dawned on me that.... = (occurred to me)

Don't get all misty on me. = (cry in my presence)

Don't tread on me! = (push your politics, economics, or military on
me)

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. = (my fault)

Dinner's on me.; It's on me. = (my treat; my payment for the food)

John 06:57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of
the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. (NIV)
= (live through the life of me)

John 14:30 I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of
this world is coming. He has no hold on me. (NIV) = (control me)

Lay some sweet lines on me.; Put some sweet lines on me. = (speak
good, comforting words to me -- slang)

No flies on me/on someone. = (actve, alert; attentive) i.e. I'm not
just sitting around and being passive.

She's going to call on me, but I'm not going out with her. = (visit)

Time (really snuck up on me. = (surprised me; time passed without my
being aware)

Don't start in on me!; Don't start on me! = (against me) i.e. Don't
start complaining to me about my actions!

That's a new one on me!; That's one on me!; He played a joke on me! =
(trick me; fool me; be new idea to me)

It's wearing on me.; It wears on me. = (bother me over a period of
time)

     Hope these are helpful.

Scott Nelson

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com