[Lexicog] Re: Joe the Plumber

langwijmijij anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 23 02:23:43 UTC 2008

"I think that's a great principle in understanding language
acquisition and evolution. An interesting modern-day example might
be "Joe the Plumber," the current mantra used on the American
political beat to refer to the average citizen. Of course this is an
offshoot of "Joe sixpack.""

umm, in what sense is it an offshoot of 'Joe sixpack'? Joe the Plumber
arose during a question in the last US presidential debate and became
a sort of running gag (and I mean gag in all possible senses). There
is a real 'Joe' and he really is a plumber, although unfortunately for
him he now gets to fulfill the US equivalent of Bruce the little
Aussie battler. Whereas Joe Sixpack, IQ of 60, A.A.M, isn't likely to
be someone politicians like Obama and McCain are going to make a
direct appeal to. Think of the fuss made when Obama said that what he
did about guns and religion being a prop for hope.

~Claire

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com