[Lexicog] Joe the Plumber

al haraka alharaka at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 22 19:47:25 UTC 2008

Hayim,

I think you are partly right, at best.  I was an Arabic major in
college, and I heard so many stories about the origin of this word.
First of all, the assassins you are referring to have nothing to do
with Malaysia (Islam did not reach it until much after the Abbasid
period, which is the consensus period in which they came about).  If
these Ismailiyya groups (a radical offshoot of Islam) did reach them,
and *not* the assassins themselves, I would like to know. I have heard
they reached India.  (You know what is left of them as the Aga Khan,
and they are very powerful indeed, just not for killing people of
note). I had never heard the Malaysia comment before.  I checked the
Wikipedia page on them, which dishes out the vanilla, most commonly
believed explanation:

****

The term 'Assassin' derives from the Arabic word Hashshashin (Ar:
حشاشون \ جماعة الحشاشين),[3] a militant Ismaili Persian Muslim sect,
active in the Northern parts of Iran (Alamout) from the eighth to the
fourteenth centuries. This mystic secret society killed members of the
Abbasid and Seljuq élite for political and religious reasons.[4]

It is popularly believed that the assassins were under the influence
of hashish and opium during their killings or during their
indoctrination, and that assassin derives from hasishin, the influence
of the drugs. However, most Islamic scholars now think this unlikely,
and favour the etymology of assassiyun, meaning people who were
faithful to the foundation (assass) of the Muslim faith.[5] Another
possibility is that they were named hassansin, after their leader,
Hassan-i-Sabah. Hashishinnya was a term used by Muslims and Mongolians
to characterize this cult.

The earliest known literary use of the term "assassination" is in The
Tragedy of Macbeth by William Shakespeare (1605).

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

****

The word you use may or may not be the same thing as Hashshashin
(sorry, no one can make a romanized version of Arabic that is robust
enough to express anything, IMHO), but I just want to make sure
because your spelling is ambiguous to me.  The word you put out there
is very close to a word use for a Shi'i place of worship (whether or
not you consider a hassaniya a mosque is a religious dispute, and it
is frankly not my problem). I am sorry to go on this rant, but
misspelled Arabic drives me nuts, and it confuses people (what you
wrote could either be about hashish or Hassan depending on how you
pronounced the thing).

Regards,
_AJS

--