[Lexicog] Re: Joe the Plumber

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 23 20:35:58 UTC 2008

Some politicians do try to appeal to Joe Sixpack. He may be regarded as the prototype of a loser who failed the IQ test but Sarah Palin has repeatedly said he is her favorite kind of American. (I just googled "Palin Joe Sixpack" and Google said it got 255,000 hits.)

--Ken

--- On Wed, 10/22/08, langwijmijij <anggarrgoon at gmail.com> wrote:
From: langwijmijij <anggarrgoon at gmail.com>
Subject: [Lexicog]  Re: Joe the Plumber
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 8:23 PM

            "I think that's a great principle in understanding language

acquisition and evolution. An interesting modern-day example might

be "Joe the Plumber," the current mantra used on the American

political beat to refer to the average citizen. Of course this is an

offshoot of "Joe sixpack.""

umm, in what sense is it an offshoot of 'Joe sixpack'? Joe the Plumber

arose during a question in the last US presidential debate and became

a sort of running gag (and I mean gag in all possible senses). There

is a real 'Joe' and he really is a plumber, although unfortunately for

him he now gets to fulfill the US equivalent of Bruce the little

Aussie battler. Whereas Joe Sixpack, IQ of 60, A.A.M, isn't likely to

be someone politicians like Obama and McCain are going to make a

direct appeal to. Think of the fuss made when Obama said that what he

did about guns and religion being a prop for hope.

~Claire