[Lexicog] Joe the Plumber

Wayne Leman wayne.leman at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 24 04:26:13 UTC 2008

I believe that Joe the Plumber is not a synonym for Joe Sixpack (or the even more generic John Doe). Joe the Plumber, as used by John McCain, is meant to refer to someone who is a small businessman.  Joe Sixpack is usually not a small businessman. He is the "average Joe" who is fairly conservative culturally, typically doesn't have a secondary (post-high school) education, and dislikes the "Eastern Elite" and "liberal press". I *think* Joe Sixpack is a synonym with Bubba.

Wayne Leman