[Lexicog] citation forms and how to 'file'

lengosi pcunger at MSN.COM
Fri Oct 24 20:06:04 UTC 2008

Since this is my first post, a bit of an introduction might be in
order. I work with Lengo (lgr), a Southeast Solomonic language of NE
Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands. I've written up a bit of a grammar and
am now tackling the lexicon (in greater earnest). I have used
FieldWorks to organise my data. But it's organising my data that
brings me here . . . so on to my questions, with a bit of background
to set things up.

Lengo is a derivation-rich language. Nouns can be derived from verbs
and verbs from nouns by means of initial CV reduplication. For example:

/vothe/ n. 'a paddle'
/vo-vothe/ vt. 'someone paddles a canoe'
/digi/ vi. 'something is closed'
/di-digi/ n. 'a door'

This is quite productive in the language.

Further, transitive verbs can be derived from intransitive verbs by
means of the addition of -Ci, where the consonant C seems quite
unpredictable (and even changes for the same stem depending on the
following object suffix). For example:

/bere/ vi. 'someone sees'
/bere-ngi-a/ vt. 'someone sees / looks at something'
/bere-ni-gho/ vt. 'someone sees / looks at you (sg)'

[/ng/ is, in Lengo, a single consonant ('eng')]

This is very productive in the language. But it is not the only way to
make a transitive verb. There are some intransitive forms that merely
take an object suffix; they do not go through the vi -> vt process of
adding -Ci. For example:

/gharasu/ vi. 'someone moves'
/gharasu-a/ vt. 'someone moves something'

So there's some background; now for the questions.

1. should the nouns derived from verbs (and vice versa) be entered as
main entries (and subentries of the included stem)? or senses of the
included stem?
2. how best to file the transitive forms? and what do I use for a
citation form? It seems I could get away without an object suffix for
those verbs that take transitivising suffix -Ci, but it is difficult
to distinguish transitive /gharasu/ from intransitive /gharasu/
without an object suffix . . . And if I have to include an object
suffix, do I just go with 3sg /-a/?

Well, I think that's enough for now. I'd appreciate any guidance I
could get with this! Thanks,

Paul

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com