[Lexicog] Joe the Plumber and the Law of Synonyms

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Fri Oct 24 20:54:22 UTC 2008

Hayim --

So you say that there is not a kernal of truth in Fritz' joke. Does that mean that Jewish men are not intelligent and successful?

Thank you for the story about Moses having horns. I had never heard before about that mistranslation in the Latin Vulgate, though I had seen pictures of the statue of Moses by Michelangelo and I didn't know why he was portrayed as having horns. I did some more research to verify what you said, and, among other things, I found the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses#Horned_Moses.

-- David Frank

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hayim Sheynin" <hayim.sheynin at gmail.com>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Joe the Plumber and the Law of Synonyms

Fritz,

This is very funny. By the way, there is not a kernel of truth in the
joke, at liest in relation to Jewish
guys. I herd several times, as American ladies checked the heads of
their Jewish lovers for horns.
Can you believe this? Probably they saw some sculptures by
Michelangelo or Houdon. You know that
Moses' horns are a consequence of a wrong translation of verses Exodus
34:29,30,35 in Catholic bibles.
Instead "the skin of Moses' face was radiant", they translated that
Moses had horns.

Good laugh,
Hayim

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com