[Lexicog] Joe the Plumber and the Law of Synonyms

Hayim Sheynin hayim.sheynin at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 25 01:10:08 UTC 2008

No, David, I didn't meant this. I had in mind, that it is not true that American
women prefere these two groups of men (native Americans and Jewish men),
at liest as far as I know.

In the base of the mentioned mistranslation lies Hebrew root Q-R-N which
may mean horn [in Arabic Alexander the Great is called Iskander
dhu-l-qarnayin (i.e.
Alexander owner horns (dual)], but also ray and radius.

The verb qaran - to be radiant, to emit rays. Haqrana - radiation. In
modern Hebrew
people who are not linguistically savvy think that the term ecran from
French écran (screen)
is derived from this root, because le-haqrin means to project (a movie).

In Arabic another homonym is added to this root (qarn - a century).

In general Semitic languages are easy to ethimologize, because of very
structured
morphology and word formation.

Hayim

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com