[Lexicog] Grammatical Ironies

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Oct 29 16:03:20 UTC 2008

Here is an answer from a punctuation aficionado:

An English professor wrote the following sentence

on the blackboard: "woman without her man is nothing"

He asked his students to add the punctuation.

The male students wrote: "woman, without her man, is nothing"

The female students wrote: "woman! without her, man is nothing!"

Fritz Goerling

Grammarian-types, puntuation afficionados -- the following oneliners
about grammatical correctness you might find amusing.

About them sentence fragments.
Between you and I, case is important.
Correct spelling is eccentail.
Don't use commas, that aren't necessary.
Don't use no double negatives.
Proofread you writing.
Try not to ever split infinitives.
Use your apostrophe's correctly.
Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
When dangling, watch your pariciples.
Avoid using cliches like the plague.

(I knows lexicographers --- I usualy breaking the rules, though I try
not to ever not make mistakes, trying hard anyway.)

Scott Nelson